Sunday, March 29, 2009

Canal du Midi



So the study abroad program had a few trips planned for us over the semester, and today was the last of those trips. The first trip was the tour of Provence including a windmill, the Pont du Gard aquaduct, and something else I can't remember. They also took us on a tour of Nimes and one of our hometown,Montpellier. On all of these trips it was cold and rainy, which is pretty rare here in the south of France. Naturally today for our boat cruise it was also cold and rainy. The boat tour would have been pretty awesome and relaxing if it hadn't been for the weather causing us to cram over 60 people into a half in closed boat for over two hours. I made a video of the highlight which was the écluse (I can't think of what it's called in English).They also gave us around three hours for lunch, at which time I took the opportunity to discover french dessert. I have usually been sticking to the crème brûlée or mousse au chocolat since I know what they are, however today I was feeling adventurous. Other than the usually CB or MauC I have frequently seen Ile Flottant on the dessert menu. I think we even asked what it was once and were still to afraid to order it. Today was different. The waiter was charming and smiled more than any french person I have ever seen. He assured us that it was good, so I decided to try this "floating island" thing. When it came out I recognized it right away since I had actually eaten it many times in the school cafeteria, and hadn't known the name for it. It was the same, ohhhh, realization you get when you finally put a name with a face... a really delicious face. What it actually is, is crème anglais (English cream? If you know what that is. I didn't) and a fluffy island of meringue floating on top. It sounds kinda weird (why I didn't order it before) but it tastes good.

P.S. I didn't get a pick of her doing it but, Fanny, the dog was doing the mermaid thing and it reminded me of Smoky.

1 comment:

  1. That dessert sounds delicious!! I wonder if I could get them to put it on the menu at Cave Vin... XD (PS.. Creme anglaise, I think, is basically a super light custard.. like a really thin creme brulee.)

    ReplyDelete